Tips to Help Recognize Mold
There are different types of mold that come from different sources and whether the mold’s food source is that little surface of soap scum in the shower, or the drywall or even the window seals of your home, mold contributes to millions of dollars of property damage and affects thousands of families every year. Mold can be as financially exhausting and physically harmful as the flood waters that frequently precede it. Did you know that poisons released by many household mold types, including the famed black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum), are now being linked to asthma and other forms of allergic reactions, including runny nose, itchy eyes, head congestion and coughing. Professional Restoration Services would like to offer a a few suggestions you should do to protect yourself and your family from mold in Connecticut.
What’s That Smell?
Follow your senses. That’s right sight and smell are important indicator of mold. Keep your eyes open for any discoloration on your walls or ceiling. Even a very small area of discoloration could be the beginning of mold growth problem. Also, if you smell any bad or funny odors it is not wise to simply ignore it. Mold will not go away on its own and requires attention. The faster you remove the mold the less the problem will cost you. Be aware that musty or mildewy smell is a giveaway sign of mold somewhere in your home.
Ignoring Mold Will Just Cost you Money!
If you spot it or smell it, don’t waste time trying to determine which type of mold it is—if it’s mold, it’s potentially harmful to you and your family. Mold may seem small, even insignificant, and while it is easy to take the “wait and see” approach it is a mistake. You definitely want to address the mold problem promptly.
When in Doubt, Take it Out
The Center of Disease Control (CDC) encourages everyone to “clean wet items and surfaces with detergent and water.” However, the organization encourages the actual removal of “all porous items that have been wet for more than 48 hours and that cannot be thoroughly cleaned and dried. These items can remain a source of mold growth and should be removed from the home. Such “noncleanable” items include” carpeting and carpet padding, upholstery, wallpaper, drywall, floor and ceiling tiles, insulation material, some clothing, leather, paper, wood, and food.” Removal and cleaning are crucial, the CDC says, because even dead mold can agitate some people’s allergies.
Little Leak Can Equal Big Problem
Keep your eye open for little leaks around your home. A little pesky leak can actually turn into a big mold problem. The most common forms of home water leaks are found in roofs, walls, and plumbed areas. Kitchens and especially bathrooms are the main culprits.
Trust the Experts
Mold will never go away on it’s mold. Mold spreads and can turn into a very large, even dangerous process. The mold removal experts at Professional Restoration Systems are certified and trained to handle the mold removal in your home or office. It is in your best interests to trust the experts to remove mold before the problem grows and to help ensure the mold problem does not persist.
For more information on mold removal in the Hartford and surround areas Professional Restoration Services a call today at 203-309-4409
and enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing your home is mold free. For more tips of preventing mold visit http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/mold/protect.asp