Upholstery’s Hidden Health Hazards If Not Cleaned Properly
Furnishing a home is exhilarating and complicated. You constantly balance your ideas of style and aesthetic, comfort and price. You may shop for hours- online, in showrooms, and even in consignment shops. However, once the pieces are installed in your home, chances are that you don’t spend another hour cleaning the upholstery over the next decade. And dirty fabrics can be unhealthy.
According to Cleveland Clinic, upholstery can carry bacteria, allergens, mildew, toxins, fungi, and mold. Health risks from your pillows, home fabrics, and cushions come from tiny insects, such as dust mites, bed bugs and fleas. The dirtier the upholstery gets, the more dangerous these health hazards become. Unfortunately, many homeowners are unaware of the risks they take when skimping on their upholstery cleaning chores.
Vacuuming upholstered items regularly will help control the dirt and grime. However, if you want to sanitize your fibers to make sure they are not only clean but also safe, then you need to hire a professional upholstery cleaning service provider.
Risks From Dirty Upholstery
Furniture cleanliness is more than a matter of attractiveness– dirt and grime on fabrics can pose more risks:
- Illness sensitivity: One of the most harmful effects of dirty upholstery is that it makes your family more sensitive to disease. Your dusty upholstered items will increase the chances of allergies and infections due to the various types of molds, allergens, and other infectious elements that are present in the fibers.
- Shorter life of the fine fabrics: Dust acts like sandpaper on your upholstery fibers, making them fade, lose their color, and become weaker. By removing all dust, debris, and dirt from the upholstered items, you add years of life to your upholstery.
- Unpleasant odors: When debris and food particles are not removed on time from upholstery, they start producing all sorts of bad smells. Once the smell gets in the fibers, it’s quite hard to remove. So, we suggest you hire a professional upholstery cleaning service provider before smells take over your home.
- Dust mites: Microscopic pests and their debris commonly trigger allergies and asthma.
- Bed bugs and fleas: Bites from these insects can leave uncomfortable welts on your skin. Scratching those itchy bites could cause a secondary skin infection to develop.
Does Upholstery Present a Risk of Coronavirus?
Although the new coronavirus weakens and dies over time outside of the human body, studies suggest that it can live on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days, depending on surface, temperature and other environmental factors. Researchers have reported that a small amount of the new coronavirus is still detectable on plastic surfaces for up to three days, on stainless steel for up to two days and up to one day on cardboard, but it’s at less than 0.1% of the starting virus material.
According to The Johns Hopkins University, the virus survives on frequently touched hard surfaces like elevator buttons and door handles. Evidence has not found the same risk from the virus on a soft surface like fabric.
Professional Upholstery Cleaning in Trumbull
Professional Carpet Systems will professionally clean your fine upholstered furnishings to keep your family healthy. Furniture is an investment, and PCS wants to help you protect your investment long after your purchase. Professional Carpet Systems cares about your furniture, your carpet and the health of your family; they will immediately schedule a crew to come out to your location if you suspect a problem. Call for quality cleaning for your home.